October 19, 2010
John Anderson to Lead 2010-2011 PMA FIT Board of Directors
Newark, Del. — October 16, 2010 — The board of directors of the Produce Marketing Association’s Foundation for Industry Talent (PMA FIT) took office at the close of PMA’s 2010 Fresh Summit International Convention and Exposition in Orlando, Fla., USA. Chairman of the Board John Anderson, chairman, president and CEO of The Oppenheimer Group, Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, is joined on the 2010-2011 board by three other officers and 16 directors to lead next year’s foundation activities.
"We are so pleased with the able industry leaders represented on the board. This year we implemented a new volunteer application process, which was overseen by the new Leadership Committee," said Margi Prueitt, executive director of PMA FIT. "It is gratifying to see so many leaders in our industry interested in supporting the Foundation for Industry Talent’s mission to attract, develop and retain talent to produce."
"I expect that this will be a fruitful year for the foundation as we become more confident and focused in the ways we’ve established to reach our goals of raising up industry talent to carry our industry forward," said John Anderson. "It’s an honor for me to work with this group of professionals and give back to the industry and to the foundation."
Besides Anderson, the 2010-2011 officers are: Vice Chair Jan DeLyser, vice president of marketing, California Avocado Commission, Irvine, Calif.; Secretary/Treasurer Tim Riley, senior vice president, Giumarra Cos., Los Angeles; and Immediate Past Chair William Schuler, president and CEO, Castellini Co., Highland Heights, Ky. Other PMA FIT board members are:
- Tonya Antle, trade ambassador, Earthbound Farm, Salinas, Calif.
- Karen Caplan, president, Frieda’s Inc., Los Alamitos, Calif.
- J. Scott Carr, president and CEO, HarvestMark, Trimble, Sunnvale, CA.
- Matt Curry, president, Curry & Co., Brooks, Ore.
- Kevin Delaney, director, Corporate Sustainability & Productivity, Procacci Bros., Philadelphia
- Gene Harris, senior purchasing manager, Denny’s Corp., Spartanburg, S.C.
- Lorri Koster, vice president of marketing, Mann Packing Co. Inc., Salinas, Calif.
- Jim Leimkuhler, president and owner, Progressive Produce Corp., Los Angeles
- Lisa McNeece, vice president foodservice and industrial sales, Grimmway Farms, Bakersfield, Calif.
- Bryan Silbermann, president and CEO, Produce Marketing Association, Newark, Del.
- Dick Spezzano, president, Spezzano Consulting Service Inc., Monrovia, Calif.
- Steve Stein, vice president human resources, Driscoll’s, Watsonville, Calif.
- David Werner, corporate director marketing, Ben E. Keith, Co., Fort Worth, Texas
- Chanel White, strategy consultant, Carter & Spencer Group, Bondi Junction, Australia
- Nancy Wolfe, vice president human resources, vegetable seed division, Monsanto, St. Louis
- Larry Zink, industry relations and outreach coordinator, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich.
Retiring from the board were Stephen Barnard, Mission Produce Inc., Oxnard, Calif.; Lorna Christie, Produce Marketing Association, Newark, Del.; David Corsi, Wegman’s Food and Pharmacy Inc., Rochester, NY; Bud Floyd, C.H. Robinson Worldwide Inc., Eden Prairie, MN; Peter Goulet, Pinnacle Sales & Marketing, Saco, MN; Edward McLaughlin, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.; Jay Pack, The Pack Group, Dallas, Texas; Frank Padilla, Costco Wholesale, Issaquah, Wash.; Geoff White, Safeway Inc., Pleasanton, Calif.; and Tim York, Markon Cooperative, Salinas, Calif.
About PMA Foundation for Industry Talent (PMA FIT)
The PMA Foundation for Industry Talent was founded in 2006 by Produce Marketing Association, the leading trade association for the produce industry. PMA FIT is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) corporation providing produce companies with unique programs to attract, develop and retain the produce industry’s most valuable resource — talented people. PMA FIT is dedicated to ensuring a quality workforce for the industry, and making a positive difference in the lives of current and future produce professionals by developing their potential for leadership, personal growth and career success. For more information, visit www.pmafit.com.
About Produce Marketing Association (PMA)
Founded in 1949, the Produce Marketing Association is the leading trade association representing nearly 3,000 companies from every segment of the global produce and floral supply chain. Members rely on PMA year round for the business solutions they need to increase sales and consumption, build strong professional relationships, and expand their business opportunities. For more information, visit www.pma.com.